The Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine is aware of information circulating on social media in The Gambia, attributing the recommendation for the consumption of garlic as a preventive measure against the Corona Virus to ‘a staff of MRC’.
We wish to inform the general public that this information is false. We encourage anyone who receives this message to stop sharing it and prevent the further spread of this false information.
For protection, we encourage everyone to practice the key preventive measures.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water.
• Use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available. This is particularly important after taking public transport.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• When you cough or sneeze, cover your mouth with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a bin.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in the home and work environment.
We continue to work in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health and other partners, supporting preparedness efforts to tackle any possible cases of the virus in The Gambia. As the outbreak continues to develop, we support all of those affected by this global crisis.
For timely, reliable and accurate information on the Corona Virus outbreak, contact the national helpline on 1025, from any network, free of charge.
We thank you for your cooperation.